Acupuncture for Natural Breast Health
The most common reason women seek medical consultation for breast symptoms is for breast lumps or cysts, and approximately half of all women who go to doctors go because they have some kind of breast pain.
Breast pain can come and go depending on the menstrual cycle. According to Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), the liver meridian links with the breast, and the entire breast region is strongly influenced by the liver.
If the liver qi becomes congested in the breast region, there will be pain, distention and even masses, all of which may fluctuate with the menstrual cycle, being most pronounced in the days immediately prior to menstruation.
In TCM terms, emotions are by far the most important (if not the only cause of liver qi congestion. A state of frustration, irritation, repressed anger or resentment over a long period of time can cause the circulation to be impeded so that qi does not flow smoothly and it becomes stuck resulting in liver qi congestion.
The link between mild breast pain and breast cancer is very low, and the majority of breast lumps are benign. But, of course, it is always recommended that a woman see her physician or gynecologist if she is having significant breast pain to determine if a lump is benign or malignant.
- EEat plenty of soluble fiber from vegetable sources, especially cruciferous vegetables- cabbage, broccoli, kale, brussels sprouts and turnips. Eat soy foods such as tofu, miso and tempeh. Consume sea vegetables for their mineral and iodine content.
- EEliminate or reduce dairy products due to the large amount of antibiotics and hormones fed to cows. Eliminate caffeine. Coffee, caffeinated sodas, colas and chocolate can cause overstimulation.
- EEvening primrose oil and gamma linolenic acid can help relieve breast tenderness.
- EOmega -3 fatty acids found in fish oil and flaxseed oil can help reduce breast pain.
- ETake a good quality multivitamin/mineral supplement containing high levels of vitamin E (400 to 600 IU per day).
- EDon’t wear underwire bras. They cut off the circulation of both blood and lymph around the breast, chest wall, and surrounding tissue.
Traditional Chinese Medicine (TMC)
TCM, which includes acupuncture and Chinese herbs, is very effective in reducing the liver qi congestion that can affect the breasts. TCM can make a positive contribution to a woman’s breast condition in practically every case.
It can reduce the size of lumps, make the breasts less swollen and tender, along with treating PMS, regulating periods and reducing stress.
Most important – Always do a monthly breast self-examination.
Learn How Acupuncture Can Help
Schedule an appointment today and discuss your personalized treatment plan
1245 Whitehorse-Mercerville Rd.
Bldg. A, Suite 408
Hamilton, NJ 08619
(Across from Hamilton Police Station)
Hours: 9:30am – 8:00pm
Monday through Friday